Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Welcome to my Garden

I love this gate.  It is one of four gates in the fence surrounding the vegetable/cutting garden, which is known around here just as 'the garden'.  The gate is made of cedar, each board is a full inch thick.  It's probably been in use here for ten years or so, and before that it was just hanging around at the back of the barn for a few years.  I have no idea how old it really is.  
Some years ago White Rock and Surrey used to have what was called 'clean-up week'.  You were allowed to put out large 'garbage' on that particular week, held once a year. These were the kind of things that wouldn't have been picked up by the garbage truck normally.  Stuff like furniture, appliances, you name it, if you looked long enough, you'd probably find it.  There were some wonderful things that people just wanted gone. 
It used to be fun to cruise around and see what was out there, and just throw in the back of your truck whatever 'find' you wanted to take home with you.  I loved it.  This gate was one of those finds.  
I'm sure I could easily have become a hoarder. 
Wait, I think I am a hoarder.  

I remember when I was a kid, going to the local dump.  There was an old fellow that hung out in a little shack near the gate, keeping an eye on things.  I always thought I would love that job, imaging all the treasures I could salvage from what people were throwing away.
  


I thought I was holding the camera crooked with this shot, but no, the fir trees in the background are growing straight.  The gate is hanging crooked now.  The post it is attached to has probably heaved a bit after a few winters.  Another job to add to the list.
The plaque is a something I found in the antique dollar store.  It's been there a while, and is weathered and a bit grimy, so it looks old just like the gate.


Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Shooting Date/Time 09/02/2011 1:27:38 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
My Colors Mode Off
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/15
Av (Aperture Value) 5.0
Light Metering Evaluative
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 80
Lens 5.0 - 100.0 mm
Focal Length 6.4 mm
Digital Zoom None
IS Mode On
Image Size 3000x4000
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Day Light
AF Mode Single AF
Parameters Contrast          Normal
Sharpness         Normal
Saturation  Normal
Color Space sRGB
File Size 4302 KB
Drive Mode Continuous shooting

2 comments: