Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hexagons

These are some sort of wasp nests that are in the greenhouse.  They are empty over the winter, and then when it warms up, wasps show up again and start using them.  The wasps and I pass each other without issue for the most part.  I don't think they have ever stung me.  Larry complains about them, and I think they got him once or twice last year.  Well actually I think once was from a bunch that were nesting over the chicken coop door.  There is no external covering over the group of cells, they are just open to then environment, well mostly protected from the rain because of where they are built, but they just consist of a bunch of connected cells.
This one was on one of the cross beams over the rafters, so I was looking at the roof,  and the one below was on one of the corner posts.


2 comments:

  1. I don't much care for wasps but those nests sure make an interesting photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! We moved into a new build 3 years ago and we have a lot of wood round the dorma windows and in the eaves of the house - and every year we have had a wasp nest. Although i've never seen their nest though. I have stung too many times now over the years I am petrified of them - they make my life a misery over the summer!!

    ReplyDelete